THE RULES for the Chelmsford Photo Marathon:
1. Chelmsford Photo Marathon is an entirely digital event. You can take part with a digital camera or mobile phone. You must provide your own memory card, which must be empty of images at the beginning of the day. This will be checked by a member of the photo marathon team at registration on the day of the event.
2. You must capture at least 12 images on 12 given topics. You can delete photos on the memory card before final submission.
3. All photographs must be taken on the day of the Chelmsford Photo Marathon event between 10am and 4pm.
4. All images must be taken on the same camera.
5. All images must be shot as JPEG files. RAW files will not be accepted.
6. You are free to use flashguns, filters and tripods.
7. You are not permitted to edit the images, or use images that are not taken during Chelmsford Photo Marathon. You are permitted to use “in-camera” effects such as black & white or other tools that are camera based. You are not permitted to amend the filename or any other data related to the images. Any manipulation (or suspected manipulation) of the image or it’s metadata will cause the entry to be disqualified. This decision will be at the discretion of the judges and/or the organisers of the event and is final.
8. Only memory cards with up to 12 images on them will be eligible for downloading. You are not permitted to have more than 12 images on your card at the end of the day, but you may have less.
9. You must collect the topics at the start, in person, from the Chelmsford Photo Marathon HQ.
10. To qualify for final judging and cross the finish line, your memory card for downloading must be returned and a receipt obtained from a member of the Chelmsford Photo Marathon team by 4.00pm on the day of the event
11. Chelmsford Photo Marathon HQ will be downloading completed entries from 2.00pm until the end of the event at 4.00pm.
What is the Chelmsford Photo Marathon?
The Chelmsford Photo Marathon – run by Baddow Camera Club – is a photograph competition with a twist: Over 6 hours you have to take 12 pictures on 12 given topics. It’s not your physical condition, but your sense of creativity and eye for a good photo that that will get you through the day.
Photo marathons have proved popular across Europe, with regular events in Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, the Czech Republic, France and Russia as well global event in Vancouver, Cape Town and Toronto. The first Photo marathon was held in Cardiff in the summer of 2004 when 120 people took up the challenge. In 2010, the event made the switch from film to digital. The event now attracts 400 entrants each year.
At 10am on the day of the Chelmsford Photo Marathon, each entrant will have their camera and memory card checked and verified and then will be issued with the set of 12 topics. They have the next six hours to shoot one image per topic. Each entrant must personally collect the set of topics from the HQ, and have their entry card stamped to prove attendance. The HQ will then receive the completed entries – via direct download from your memory card – from 2pm until 4pm.
The topics are kept secret until revealed at the start of the event. They will offer plenty of room for interpretation and creativity.
After the Chelmsford Photo Marathon, all the images are collated and printed, before our judges meet to decide the winners.
All the photos – yes, all of them – then go on show in a free public exhibition from 9th July at Chelmsford Library Remembrance Square. It will be quite a collection!
Sign up now to take part in Chelmsford Photo Marathon 2015 on Saturday the 18th June 2016. All you need is a camera and some creative inspiration. The entry fee is £5 per entrant (£4 students).
To secure your place in this year’s Chelmsford Photo Marathon please register now!
Enter your name and email address and you will be sent a confirmation e-mail, which states your entry number, which you will need to have on the day of the competition. We will then contact you via e-mail prior to the event with further information, advice, competition rules and details for the day.
The 2017 Chelmsford Photo Marathon will take place in Chelmsford on Saturday 10th June starting at Remembrance Square, just outside the Chelmsford Library, Market Road, Chelmsford CM1 1QH. You will need to sign up online in advance and all entrants will meet for registration on the morning of the 10th June from 09:30 onwards.
This is our third year of the Chelmsford Photo Marathon challenge and once again, we’re looking forward to a very exciting event.
As in previous years, we have the support of Chelmsford’s leading camera shop, CAMERAWORLD that are based in the High Chelmer Shopping Centre in Chelmsford, only a short distance from the Library. Their address is 7 Exchange Way, High Chelmer Shopping Centre, Chelmsford, CM1 1XB.
From the 24th June, we will arrange a public exhibition of the pictures taken. The exhibition is a great opportunity to see how people have tackled the challenge and to compare and contrast the different approaches to each of the topics.
All those who take part in the event will be invited to a special presentation event, where we will announce the winners of the competition and celebrate everybody’s achievements.